Meeting you where you are when you are ready to being your great journey into the Faith is What we are here for!
If you are an Adult exploring your interest in Catholicism and have questions, we’d love to host you in an informal Inquiry Class. These meetings are hosted by our Adult Faith Formation (OCI) Team on Thursday evenings, 7:30 p.m. in Room 105. We ask that you contact us at OCI@Transfiguration.com if you plan to attend! We’re looking forward to meeting you.
If you are an Adult ready to Commit- we offer the Order of Catholic Initiation for Adults (OCI-A). This is an ongoing journey of preparation. For information on the program, email OCI@transfiguration.com. Please include your name, best phone number and email to reach you. See the Becoming Catholic page of the website for information. Classes are held for program participants, Sundays directly following the 8:00 a.m. Mass. We are happy to walk with you on this Journey.
If you have a Child and have questions about becoming Catholic, please reach out to Sheila, Smurray@transfiguration.com
and see the above information about Sacrament Preparation.
For all other Sacraments, please continue to read the information below.
Welcome to the Family!
Our community rejoices in welcoming children through the Sacrament of Baptism.
Baptism Classes for parents and godparents are held Once per Month and are scheduled in advance.
Baptisms can be done at Select Sunday Masses, or on select Saturdays at 10:00 a.m.
Please call our Parish Office, 770-977-1442, for information and scheduling.
First Eucharist & First Reconciliation (Grades 1-2 or older)
What an exciting time in the life of your family! We are looking forward to working together to prepare your child to receive their sacraments!
When parents feel their child is ready, they will enter the preparation period for Sacraments. As you prepare your child for the Sacrament and decide when he/she is ready, please contact Sheila Murray, email@example.com to meet and discuss their preparation and schedule a date for reception of the Sacraments.
As you consider preparing your child for a Sacrament, the most important preparation includes coming to Mass, praying at home, participating in Our Great Journey Family Faith sessions, sharing faith at home.
Below are the details and dates for the immediate preparation for the Sacraments:
Reconciliation: We receive God’s forgiveness and Jesus’ healing grace. Forgiveness requires being sorry for our sins.
- The discernment process may begin as early as 1st grade. This process must include participation in 1 complete year of Family Faith Formation.
- The immediate preparation year begins the following August after 1 full year of discernment and Faith Formation participation is complete. The earliest grade that immediate preparation can begin is 2nd grade.
- Complete the registration form for Reconciliation.
- Reconciliation workbook – complete the Reconciliation workbook at home with your child
- Each family will be assigned a Sacrament Mentor who will contact you throughout the discernment and preparation.
- Participate in the Reconciliation Retreat with your child.
- When your child is ready to receive the Sacrament of God’s Forgiveness, your Sacrament Mentor to set up a time to review preparation and schedule a date for Reconciliation.
- Options for celebrating the Sacrament of Reconciliation:
- Advent Penance Service
- There will be a communal Reconciliation service for children & families
- Any time confession is celebrated, currently Tuesdays, 5 pm and Saturdays, 3:30 pm
Eucharist: In the Eucharist, we receive the Body and Blood of Christ to nourish our life of faith.
- Preparation for Reconciliation is required prior to preparation for First Eucharist. The earliest grade that immediate preparation can begin is 2nd grade.
- Complete the registration form for First Eucharist and submit a copy of the Baptismal certificate if your child was not baptized at Transfiguration.
- Participate in the First Eucharist Retreat with your child.
- First Eucharist workbook – complete the First Eucharist workbook at home with your child.
- When your child is ready to receive the Sacrament of Eucharist, contact your Sacrament Mentor, to set up a time to review preparation and schedule a date for First Communion.
- First Communions will be celebrated at all Masses the second Sunday of each month, year round. Depending on the date of Easter, the First Communion Mass may change Sundays.
There is a First Reconciliation preparation fee of $30 and a First Eucharist preparation fee of $30 ($60 for both Sacraments) to cover the additional costs (workbooks, activity supplies, certificates, refreshments, etc). This is in addition to the regular Faith Formation registration fee.
If you are an adult looking to complete the sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation, Eucharist or Confirmation – please see Becoming Catholic, on the Adult Education pages.
Adults Seeking Confirmation: email the Director of Adult Faith Formation: Cindy McFadden, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 678-223-7349.
In Confirmation, the Christian becomes more closely united with Christ. With the strengthening of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit the Christian is able to accept new responsibilities for witnessing Jesus to the world.
Our Faith Formation staff collaborates with parents to prepare children & teens for the reception of Sacraments. What we have learned is that just as for adults, there should be a discernment process for children & teens and their parents as they prepare for the Sacraments. It doesn’t have to be and shouldn’t be a one size fits all; we all have a different path on the journey to discovering and encountering God’s love.
When parents feel their teen is ready, they will enter the preparation period for sacraments. As you prepare your teen for the Sacrament of Confirmation and decide he/she is ready, please contact the Karen Paonessa, Confirmation Coordinator, email@example.com, to meet and discuss their preparation and schedule a date for the reception of Confirmation.
As you consider preparing your teen for Confirmation, the most important preparation includes coming to Mass, praying at home, participating in Our Great Journey Family Faith sessions, sharing faith at home.
Below are the details and dates for the immediate preparation for the Confirmation:
- The discernment process may begin as early as 8th grade. This process must include participation in 2 previous and continuous years of Faith Formation as well as the Confirmation/Antioch Retreat.
- The immediate preparation year begins the following August after 2 years of discernment and Faith Formation participation is complete. The earliest grade that immediate preparation can begin is 10th grade.
- Each teen must participate in the Antioch Retreat prior to celebrating Confirmation. This retreat is offered to teens in 10th grade or older.
- Each Confirmation candidate is asked to complete 25 hours of service prior to Confirmation, as teens experience living their faith through active service. Teens can begin service hours in 6th grade and complete them in the beginning of their confirmation year. Service can be submitted online.
- Contact Karen Paonessa, firstname.lastname@example.org, when your teen is ready for immediate preparation for Confirmation.
- All the following paperwork must be completed for immediate preparation to begin.
- The online E-Journal should be completed by the teen with their sponsor or parent.
- Complete the registration form for Confirmation and the Antioch Retreat.
- Submit a copy of the Baptismal certificate if your child was not baptized at Transfiguration.
- If the teen’s sponsor is from another Catholic Church, a sponsor certificate is needed.
- Attend the Inscription Rite for those preparing to receive Confirmation in 2023, January 15, 5 pm Mass.
- After completing the preparation, contact Karen to review preparation and schedule a date for Confirmation.
- Options for celebrating the Sacrament of Confirmation:
- Saturday, February 11, 10 am Mass with Archbishop Hartmayer
- Pentecost, May 28, 2023, 11 am Mass with Fr. Eric and adult confirmandi
- Saturday, October 21, 2023, 7 pm Mass with Fr. Eric
Parents & Teens are required to attend a Confirmation meeting in May and September.
(This meeting is for those who will be confirmed during the current school year.)
Service Summary Sheets should be turned in to the ChrisTeen office as detailed below.
- A Service Summary Sheet must be submitted at the end of 8th grade with a minimum of 10 service hours (at least 5 through activities/ministries at Transfiguration). These hours are for service done in the 7th and 8th-grade years.
- A Service Summary Sheet must be submitted at the end of 9th grade with a minimum of 10 new service hours (at least 5 through activities/ministries at Transfiguration).
- A Service Summary Sheet must be submitted in the fall of 10th grade with a minimum of 5 new service hours (at least 2-1/2 through activities/ministries at Transfiguration).
- New service hours must be completed each year. Students are highly encouraged to go beyond the minimum requirements, but extra hours do not count towards the next year’s service. Failure to meet the minimum requirements will delay the student’s Confirmation date.
There is a preparation/registration fee to cover the additional costs (workbooks, retreats, certificates, refreshments, etc). This is in addition to the regular Faith Formation registration fee.
For all of the current Confirmation forms and pertinent dates for the current class, visit the Confirmation Corner
High school Students Seeking Confirmation: email Karen Paonessa: email@example.com or 678-233-7348.
OCI – Order of Christian Initiation (Children 8+ – Adults seeking entry into the Church)
Sunday, 12:15 – 1:45 p.m. (Children)
Sunday, Following the 8:00 a.m. Mass, (Adults)
Adults seeking to join the Catholic Church, please see the Becoming Catholic portion of the Adult Education website.
For students in grades 3-12 & Adults who have not been baptized OR who have been baptized but have not received formal faith formation. Learning & experiencing the Catholic faith and preparing to receive Baptism, Reconciliation, First Eucharist and Confirmation. For students 8 years – 13 yrs, please contact Sheila Murray to make an appointment so we can meet your family and review our programs to find the right place for your child.
Students 14 years old and older who have not been baptized, have not received First Eucharist, or have not been enrolled in Faith Formation, will participate in the Order of Christian Initiation for Teens (OCI-HS) program. If you are interested, please contact Sheila Murray for an appointment for your family to come and meet to discuss the program and learn if this is the right fit for your child.
Students seeking OCI: Sheila Murray: or 770-977-1442 ext 149
Adults seeking OCI: Bill Garrity: OCI@transfiguration.com or 678-761-4680