“Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you? Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.”
Outreach Ministry at Transfiguration has volunteered to be an overflow warming center to provide shelter when temperatures are below freezing and shelters have reached their capacity. As this is an emergency response, we are developing a plan to mobilize for when we can serve.
Please look through the many roles that are needed to welcome our guests. If you are able to help, please complete the “Yes, I can help” form below. When our serves are needed, Breon Haskett, Ourteach Coordinator, will send a sign up genius requesting assistance.
Administration and Greeters
- Set up administration station
- Prepare and distribute Comfort bags (laundry bags with guest items)
- Escort guests upstairs to sleeping area
- Manage guest shower schedule and shower use timesTime requirement: 2 1/2 hours
We need a crew and would love to have families and ministries assist.
- Prepare meal for 20 guests
- Set up food tables
- Serve food and interact with guests (prayer requests and general fellowship)
- Cleanup food area
- Prepare “to go” breakfast bags for guestsTime requirement: 2 1/2 hours
- Gather laundry bags from guests
- Get cash (coins) from warming center lead to wash laundry
- Transport laundry to local laundry at and wash, dry and return to guest.Time requirement: 2 1/2 hours
We need 2 people to set up and 2 to spend the night.
- Setup sleeping area (mattresses sheets and pillows)
- Great guest in sleeping area
- Help guest get settled and orient them (location of restrooms, safety issues…)
- Announce lights out
- Stay in upstairs volunteer room overnight (2 safety checks required during the overnight)Time requirement: 1 1/2 hours for setup12 hours for overnight crew
- With Church maintenance team cleanup all used areas
- Clean as required all used equipment
- Pack and store mattresses and pillowsTime requirement: 2 1/2 hours
Warming Center Manager
Point of contact for all guest issues (safety and hospitality)Time requirement: 3 hours the day ofOn call overnight