To speak the Word of God with our hands for those who hear with their eyes.
The Deaf Ministry at Transfiguration has as its mission the support and encouragement of Deaf Catholics in their faith lives. Our programs and services assist members of the Deaf community in sharing their gifts. We encourage leadership by the Deaf within the Catholic community and beyond. At the basis of our ministry is a deep respect for the language of the Deaf and their Culture.
Interpreted Mass Schedule
Every Sunday 11:00 AM (starting again July 5, 2020)
Second Weekend of the Month: *Saturday 5:00 PM Vigil Mass
Seats are reserved on the first and second rows in front of the choir area for Deaf and interpreters until the end of the processional song.
Transfiguration Deaf Ministry hosts a potluck dinner social on the second Saturday of every month after Mass.
Our invitation is open to anyone to attend whether hearing, Deaf, signers, or not…there is always someone to welcome you and assist with communication.
If you would like to receive monthly EVITES, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to visit the Archdiocese of Atlanta Website for the Office of Deaf Services page.
Check this website often for news and additional interpreted services.
- National Catholic Office for the Deaf – www.NCOD.org
- Archdiocese of Atlanta – www.archatl.com/ministries/disabilities/
- Father Shawn Carey at Eucharistic Congress – www.georgiabulletin.org/blog/news/2014/06/american-sign-language-track-participants-asked-christ-fit/
- Father Christopher Klusman at Eucharistic Congress- https://georgiabulletin.org/news/2016/06/father-klusman-encourages-mercy-eyes-hands-deaf/
- Father Michael Depcik – www.frmd.org
- RASL – www.rockforddiocese.org/deafapostolate/raslweek/
American Sign Language Classes
The Transfiguration Deaf Ministry offers two levels of ASL instruction, beginner and intermediate. All classes are taught by Deaf teachers who are members of the Transfiguration Deaf Ministry. Class size is limited and registration is required.
- Tuesday evenings 7:00-8:00 p.m. Classes begin in September after Labor Day and end in May. We follow the Cobb and Cherokee County School System calendars for holidays and inclement weather closings. This class is for ages 14 through adult who have little or no previous knowledge of ASL.
- Tuesday evenings 7:00-8:00 p.m. in the Parish Center. Classes begin in September after Labor Day and end in May. We follow the Cobb and Cherokee County School System calendars for holidays and inclement weather closings. This class requires good ASL vocabulary production and the ability to understand ASL receptively at an advanced level